A widget in WordPress is a small block of content that can be added to specific areas of a website, such as a sidebar, footer, or other widget-ready area. Widgets are typically used to display a specific content in the widget area. For example, podcast player widget can be used to add the podcast player in any available widget area.
Widgets are part of the WordPress core, and they provide a flexible and easy way to add content and functionality to your site. You can add, remove, and rearrange widgets in the WordPress Customizer or in the widget area of the WordPress dashboard.
Display podcast player using widgets
Here are the steps to add a widget to a widget area in WordPress:
- WordPress widgets are no longer actively supported. Widgets in the widget area are now getting replaced by editor blocks. However, if you want to use classic widgets in the widget areas in place of editor block, you need to install a free plugin called “Classic Widgets“.
- Go to the Widgets page: Go to Appearance > Widgets in the WordPress dashboard.
- Choose a widget area: In the Widgets page, choose the widget area where you want to add the widget. This could be a sidebar, footer, header, or any other widget-ready area defined by your theme.
- Add a widget: In the available widgets list in the left panel, find the podcast player widget, and then click and drag it to the widget area where you want it to appear.
- Configure the widget: After you’ve added the widget to the widget area, you can add your podcasting feed url in the text field available in the podcast player widget. You can adjust other settings provided by the plugin.
- Save the changes: When you’re done configuring the widget, click the “Save” button to save your changes and make your widget live.